Our Wise Guides love helping guests create the perfect itinerary for their time here in Jackson. Yellowstone is usually always on this list, provided you have some time to explore this bucket-list destination, so we asked our Wise Guides for their recommendations on the ideal 5 day trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. They came up with a great one for you, so here it is. Enjoy!
Please note – this blog has been updated for 2020 and includes modifications based on changes that have been made by certain operations throughout the valley. As always, our Wise Guides are here to help so if you have any questions about what’s open, please don’t hesitate to ask!
Ideal 5 Day Trip To Yellowstone & Grand Teton National Parks
Day 1: Arrive in the town of Jackson, WY
- Arrive at the Jackson Hole Airport
- Grab your bags & depart Jackson Hole Airport and head into the town of Jackson – Flying T Taxi $40.00+ (307-690-4141)
- If you’re hungry from the plane ride, stop and grab made to order sandwiches from Creekside Market on your way into town
- Check in to the Mountain Modern Motel
- Stroll through the Town Square & browse local shopping & galleries, watch “Old West Shootout” at 6pm
- Dinner reservations at The Local Restaurant and Bar
Day 2: Jackson Hole Area/Grand Teton National Park
- Breakfast at e.leaven
- Depart Jackson for Teton Village
- Ride the gondola at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort
- Hike around Rendezvous Peak and take in the sights. Prefer two wheels? Bring your bike and enjoy great biking options as well
- Grab waffles from the current makeshift Corbet’s – you won’t be disappointed!
- Ride the gondola to the base
- Depart Teton Village
- Visit Laurance S. Rockefeller Preserve Center
- Explore Moose & Kelly – Moose-Wilson Rd, Mormon Row, photo op at Moulton Barn (bonus if you see bison!)
- Return via Elk Refuge Rd; More photo ops!
- Head back to MMM and clean up for the evening
- Dinner reservations at The Snake River Grill
Day 3: Grand Teton National Park
- Grab to-go breakfast & a picnic lunch from Persephone Bakery
- Depart Jackson for Grand Teton National Park
- Stop at Snake River Overlook for 6:09am sunrise; Photo Op!
- Visit Jenny Lake Visitor’s Center
- Take the Jenny lake ‘shuttle’ across the lake
- Hike Cascade Canyon trail
- Enjoy your picnic lunch @ Hidden Falls
- Take return Shuttle across the lake
- Visit Jackson Lake & dam – small hike with potential for wildlife activity
- Head back into town via Teton Park Road through Grand Teton National Park – a great wildlife spotting stretch!
- Dinner at Orsetto Italian Eatery
Day 4: Yellowstone National Park (South/West Sections)
- Check out of Mountain Modern Motel
- Grab breakfast from Pearl Street Bagels
- Walk over and grab sandwiches for lunch from Pearl Street Market
- Depart for Yellowstone National Park
- Visit Duck Lake Trail at the West Thumb Geyser Basin – easy, 1mi hike
- Visit Old Faithful Geyser – photo ops
- Visit the Geyser Basin area; including Grand Prismatic Spring, Great Fountain Geyser and Fountain Paint Pot – easy walks w. photo ops
- Visit Harlequin Lake Trail & have picnic lunch – easy, 1mi hike
- Check in to the Alpine Motel in West Yellowstone
- Have dinner at Madison Crossing Lounge
Day 5: Yellowstone National Park (North/East Sections)
- Check out of the Alpine Motel
- Scenic drive to Mammoth Hot Springs Terrace
- Check in to the Mammoth Campground (1st come, 1st serve, $20/nt)
- Visit Wraith Falls – easy, family friendly hike
- Visit the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone National Park – photo ops
- Visit the Upper and Lower Falls – light walking, photo ops
- Visit Artists Point – photo ops, potential wildlife viewing
- Grab dinner to-go from Mammoth Dining Room or Mammoth Terrace Grill
- Visit Lamar Valley towards dusk for best chance at wildlife viewing
- Return to campsite for s’mores and a campfire!
For more resources on hiking in Yellowstone visit this website.
For more information on Grand Teton National Park click here. For more information on Yellowstone National Park click here. Do you have any additions that you would make to our Wise Guides’ itinerary? Suggest them in the comments! We hope you enjoyed our 5 day trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks itinerary and we will be back soon with another one for you!